Saturday, February 4, 2012

Aim Small / Miss Small

My initial entry in my blog is dedicated to the concept of "Aim Small / Miss Small".  Of all the skills that I've learned along the way, the incorporation of this concept has had perhaps the largest impact on improving my target shooting accuracy. 

For many years I was just like most shooters (both young and old alike) that I observe at the range on any given day, in that I would put up the typical large target (anywhere from 8" round up to the "man size" target) on the backer board, send it down range 7 to 25 yards, and proceed to attempt the smallest group that I was capable of at the very center.  Now while I had worked very hard over the years to perfect my stance, grip, sight picture, breathing, trigger control & follow through (and was consistently an accurate shooter), it never occurred to me that changing my target selection (and focus) was the final necessary element to move my accuracy to the next level. 


Then one day as I was going through my typical routine at the range (about a year ago), one of my shooting buddies that I hadn't seen in quite a while asked me the following question ... "Why are you shooting at an 8" target when you're trying to make a 1" hole?"  I thought for a moment and answered ... "Great question".  My friend proceeded to take out an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper, apply three 1" target stickers in a vertical row, tape the target to the backer board and send it on its' way to the 7 yard mark.  He then loaded his XD 9mm with 6 rounds and proceeded to hit 2 of the three 1" targets with 2 rounds each (one round missed just outside of the 3rd target).  Since I never remembered him being quite this accurate before, I decided that it had to have some merit and that I would try this technique for myself.


I started that day with the 1" target stickers at 18' and have now progressed to the point that I am able to consistently hit the 3/4" stickers at 25' with 2 rounds each (see target below), and am working my way towards 30' 






While this technique takes patience and a lot of practice (at least it did for me), I would suggest that it's worth a try if you're trying to raise your target skills to the next level.  Good luck and good shooting ... Buck  

4 comments:

  1. While your concept is interesting, I was brought up to believe that pistol accuracy should be tested from 25 yards and beyond. It seems to me that folks are trying to make shooting easier these days by shooting at much shorter distances, and I'm not sure that it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate and respect your thoughts on the matter, however I have a different take on reduced distance shooting. While I would agree with you that for true pistol accuracy testing (determining what the pistol is capable of), 25 yards in a Ransom rest is fine and dandy. However, when you or I get behind the controls (whether at 7,10,15 or 25 yards), accuracy is now the product of our ability to consistantly reproduce the proper stance, grip, sight picture, breathing, trigger control and follow through. If we do our part (at these distances) the only true variable becomes the divergence of the bullet as it travels. Accordingly, if you can accomplish a 3/4" 5 shot group at 10 yards, or 1-1/2" group at 15 yards, it will easily translate into a sub 4" group at 25 yards. So the question from my perspective is, would I rather shoot a 3/4" group at 10 yards or a sub 4" group at 25 yards. The answer for me is that I enjoy both and do not consider one to be superior to the other.

      Delete
  2. I tried to do this initially at 10 yards and quickly realized how difficult an exercise it is. I had to move it all of the way in to 15' to start hitting those little dots with any degree of consistency. I'm going to try it at 18' (maybe 21') my next time to the range. It would be a lot easier if those little dots would stop moving around so much as I'm trying to shoot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I feel your pain. It took me a while to get consistent at 18'and only then did I stretch it to 21' and 25'. I'm finally getting pretty consistent at 10 yards but that 5' increment from 25' to 10 yards was a tough one for me. Good luck and keep working at it.

      Delete