Sunday, February 5, 2012

Selecting The Proper Gun For Concealed Carry


My Everyday Carry Since 2008 - Springfield Micro-compact (.45acp)

It seems that a day rarely goes by on the firearms forums that I frequent, that at least one member doesn't post a question about what is the best gun to purchase for concealed carry.  While we could discuss many elements here, including brand, caliber, reliability, barrel length, etc., I'm instead going to share the simple advice that I initially give to each individual who asks me this question.  

My first recommendation is always to relax and understand that regardless of what carry gun you initially select, the likelihood is that you will change what you choose to carry as you go forward, and if you're like most, you will end up with more than one carry gun and will select what you carry depending on your needs (dress, weather, location, etc.).  

Secondly, know in advance that most everyone that you ask (who carries) will have very specific ideas (most often based on their personal preference) as to what you should carry, so take specific recommendations with a grain of salt.  The real issue and ultimate goal here is to determine what is best for you, as there is no one size fits all when it comes to selecting a carry gun.  To that end, I will suggest that you consider the following simple approach if you're currently on this quest (or share it if you know someone who is):

  1. Don't be lazy and just take someone else's opinion regarding what is best for your needs. Do your own research and learn the advantages and disadvantages of:
    • Revolvers vs. Semi-autos.
    • Single action vs. SA/DA vs. Double action only.
    • Small, medium & large frame weapons
    • All of the available carry calibers (Note that I would suggest here nothing smaller than a .380 as a practical matter).

  2. Armed with the information accumilated in item #1, find a reputable gunstore/range who's primary interest is to have you as a long term satisfied customer, who has a wide selection of carry guns available to handle (and rentals to shoot), and who is willing to answer your questions and make recommendations based on things such as:

    • Your hand size and strength
    • Your body type and typical wardrobe requirements
    • Your budget for the gun as well as ammo for both practice & carry
    • The proper holster(s) and concealment methods for your needs

Ultimately, if you take your time with the selection process and utilize the simple approach as outlined above, the chances are that you will start out with an appropriate firearm and carry system that fits your needs and budget.  

Hope it helps ... Good luck as you work your way through the process ... Buck

4 comments:

  1. Your simple down to earth advice on this subject is appreciated. I was going nuts listening to what everyone was saying that I should do. I'm going to try what you have suggested here and hope that I can end up with the right gun and holster. I'll let you know how it all works out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that I could help. I look forward to hearing where you land with your first carry gun. Good luck and have fun with the process.

      Delete
    2. Buck, after handling several guns from Sig, Ruger, S&W and CZ, it was a tie between the Ruger SR9c and the CZ 2075 Rami. I rented both and tested them side by side. While I liked them both, I finally bought the Ruger (got to go American made when you can). I've also ordered a crossbreed holster which should be here any day. Thanks again for the help :)

      Delete
    3. Congrats on your decision to purchase the SR9c and welcome to the ranks of those who choose to carry concealed. While I don't own an SR9c (I do have several other Rugers), I have had the pleasure of shooting one upon several occasions and found it to be a fine pistol. Stay safe & practice often.

      Delete